As I have been helping companies develop intelligent digital marketing plans, I have had to keep up with many different marketing disciplines, and one that I have gotten to know more about recently is Search Engine Optimization or SEO. Although I always knew it was a serious discipline, I never really understood it fully. I had a vague notion that if you identified your keywords and put those as meta-tags and meta-descriptions throughout the various pages of your website, this would be good enough. It might take a while, but eventually, Google would find you and add you to the list of others who do what you do. Boy, was that naïve thinking!
There’s a lot more to it than that. SEO can be a full-time discipline and by activating the expertise and prowess of these professionals, a website can jump from complete obscurity to Google page 1 in a matter of months for as little as $199/month! It’s still a little bit magical to me, but there is a science to it. By systematically placing articles and directory notifications throughout the worldwide web, any website can rise quickly in their ranking. The tricky part is, though, that if you put yourself out there in too many places too quickly, the search engines may declare you a “spammer” (thus negating all your hard work). This is called Black Hat SEO and is to be avoided.
I have worked over the past six months with my digital partner, Starboard Digital, to help create digital marketing plans and execute SEO programs THAT WORK! The team of experts activates an organic SEO campaign that helps clients achieve phenomenal results. How does a website go from 3,000 hits per month to 11,000 hits per month in just 3 months without spending tens of thousands of dollars a month? By carefully reviewing the possible keywords, evaluating online search patterns, picking the right keywords, and executing an ongoing on-site and off-site SEO plan, web-wide, that optimizes the site by leveraging the algorithms used by today’s top search engines.
There are other methods for building traffic to your site, but nothing has the long-lasting impact that organic SEO can provide. An Organic SEO Campaign involves the following steps:
- Review the client’s online goals and digital plan, paying close attention to details on what describes the ideal client(s). This will help guide your SEO team to find the right keywords for your site.
- Research relevant keywords – priority is given to find those terms relevant to the ideal client, identified target market and SEO goals that will convert website visitors into leads.
- Review the site’s existing content with regards to researched keywords and perform on-site SEO optimization including title tags, meta-tags and descriptions.
- Manage the potential recommendations of additional SEO’d website content and social media content that will creative positive visitor experiences online, support SEO goals, and create more opportunity for lead generation.
- Implement off-site SEO efforts including Google Webmaster Tools and Analytics setup and configuration, directory submissions, article marketing, social marketing, on-going link building, competitor analysis, and website traffic reporting.
- Monitor/Measure SEO Results. Choosing the right success metrics and setting goals is one of the most important pieces of any search engine marketing campaign. An SEO campaign is measurable, and adjustments are made based on how the site is performing.
Want to dramatically build traffic to your website? Give us a call; we can help you develop a smart SEO plan that fits in with your overall digital strategy and builds traffic to your site.